Final Delivery_MS3

Final Delivery is now up! We have some more things that has to be adjusted such as:
– Strange Final Gathering artifacts
– Smoke Speed

Overall poleshing will be fixed to next week.

Post Mortem with our thoughts on this project will be up for Milestone 4, next week.

Hope you like it!


Test comp

Made a little test to check all the passes/grading. Will spend the upcoming time before the big rendering on tweeking the colors/material attributes. In other words, I have to fix so the whole model looks old, dirty and rusty (compared to now with some parts super shiny). Grading and depth needs to be fixed aswell.

The full clip will be up next friday!



comp test

Progress on shading and texturing


Been a little while since I posted last time, have been some hectic times during the last weeks (took longer to UV map everything than i thought it should take, but I have learnt a lot from it)!

Anyway, the texturing and shading is going forward. Currently playing around with color, material properties, amount of spec/bump/roughness intensity and so on. Made a little test you can look at below. The specularity is way to intense currently, but will tweek it in NUKE later on when i have all my passes. Will try to add more rust, scratches and dirt over the model to achieve a more interesting result.

Overall I´ve learnt a lot from MARI. I´m a bit new to program so it took a little longer some of the steps. I´m currently using the procedural layers a lot with the tiled texture applied to it, which alows me to have more control/structure over the model.

Hope you like the progress!



shading test texturing1 texturing3 texturuing2

Texturing progress

Hello, Katarina here, I’m working on the T-Rex model “Cutter”. This week the UVs are finished and all laid out and organized! Texturing work in Mari started this week, and it’s progressing nicely. Going to pick up the pace though, and try to finish a test-render before Sunday.

I’ve focused on texturing the areas that will be in view. I’d love to finish the rest of the model as well, but it’s all depending on time.


progress_texture01 progress_texture02

UVs Finally done!

Done with my UVS. It toke a little more time than i planed bit I wanted to have as much textured parts as possible and ovoid basic shaded Mental ray materials. Will be using 3 main shading groups to make things a bit more easier for me. I´m satisfied with the result and now it´s time for the wonderful world texturing in Mari! More posts on texturing references and progress will be added next week!



Modelling Progress

The modelling is going pretty straight forward. It´s loads of fun and a lot to do, therefore I am mainly focusing on the areas that are in focus on the shots to save more time on the project.

The approach or modelling method I have been using is to:
1. First block in all the areas so the model looks like the concept
2. Building up the forms by using the smooth mesh preview option
(adding support edges to hold the form/strive towards nice topology)
3. Converting the smooth mesh preview to actual geo
(smooth mesh activated, modify, convert, smooth mesh preview to polygons)
4. Keep all edges/faces that helps to hold the forms and delete all unnecessary edges/faces
(to lower render time mainly)
5. Use the sculpt tool to add more interest on different areas
(see image below)
6. UV mapp the completed parts when I´m satisfied with the detailing

For me this workflow works great for hardsurface modelling mainly becouse I do my modelling and UVS at the same time which results in a more pleasent variation of tasks.


To add more visual interest to shot two I added some small touches which are:

– Hydralic pipes pumping (the blue lines)
– Red Light blinking (red dot)
– Cylinders spinning (green cirkle)

All the wires/cables will be animated with the help of Ncloth (see previous post to se test result).


Shaded/Wireframe print screens
Untitled-3Untitled-14jpg Untitled-2 Untitled-1

Pushing to complete the model next friday (the areas that will be in frame) with all parts needed and UV tiled. Welcome back for more cool stuff then!


Progress update!

We’ve been working on our models, finishing up the modelling and doing the UVs for the machines, and started some preliminary skinning for the owl.

For the model “The Cutter” the modelling stage is almost completed for the parts that will be on screen. The work on the UVs are being made, so they’re both progressing well. Finishing the UVs and texturing scheduled for next week!



For the owl the textures for the feathers are almost done, as well as the skinning and rigging (simple since it wont move much). Had to rearrange the schedule somewhat to compensate for a program that we are waiting for.