My original goal with the project was to eventually make a small, but functional demo game in Unity3D using the random dungeon generator. As it stands now, this will most likely not be the case. Time estimation for a project is a difficult task and takes quite a lot of practice to become adept at. Working with the project and getting the framework and all the base modules working properly with each other required far more time then was estimated at the start of the project.
The main focus was always to make a functional, modular and expandable dungeon generator framework, that later on could be usable in various other game projects. That has thus far been successful, even if the framework still needs a lot of work and polish. The project was, in the end, a very large undertaking and it would realistically have needed at least two more developers working on it to finish within a reasonable time frame.
- No demo game
- More focus on working framework
- Time estimation is hard and requires practice
Milestone 2 Presentation
Last Friday(6/2/2015) we had our milestone 2 presentation, where we showcased our prototypes and any relevant documentation and changes we had made to our original plan. After that, we got some feedback and were told to revise our documentation until all the feedback we were given was resolved. I delivered a short presentation where I discussed the research I had done and showcased the current prototype, which thankfully did not crash and worked like intended. Demo and presentation can be found here http://svn.gscept.com/ip15/ip16/public/MS2/
Now we are fully committed to our projects and we may change little to nothing in our plans and time schedules.
Chop code into pieces
This will be mostly be comprised of creating the basic framework and modules for the dungeon generator. In order to do this, the code written for the prototype needs to be chop into smaller, more manageable, modular classes.
Step by step generation
Next, I would like to explore the possibility to preform step-by-step generation, meaning each step of the generation process is done over a number of frames. This will allow for easier debugging and more impressive visual representation of how the generation process works in the future demo.
Today we had a small seminar, where each group had a chance to present their project plan, concept and time scheme in front of the other project groups. Roughly 20 minutes were allotted per group, with added time for questions and feedback.
We all received some form of direct feedback once our presentations where over. They had a few minor issues they wanted me to address or at least take into account before I did any further progress with the project.
- Specify what types of files will be delivered at each milestone, instead of writing generic topics
- Plan less for future research areas and focus more on the current topics I have chosen. This was mostly referring to my slideshow presentation
- Structure the time plan better. As of now, it is very cluttered and a bit hard to follow
We will receive further feedback next Tuesday (01/27), once the handlers have read our documents and have had time to reflect. Until then, we are to continue working on the project.
Milestone 2 is the prototype stage of the project. At the end of Milestone 2, we should have some proof of concept or similar material ready to showcase in front of the other groups and to upload to the blogs. My goal is to have a functional dungeon generator working, without the framework and the modules. Those are for Milestone 3.
Here is a link to all documents that are related to Milestone 1. It contains the project plan, the concept and research, the time plan and the presentation slideshow. Ideas and feedback is much appreciated.
If you are a programmer like me, you most likely aren’t very good at working with 3D graphics and modelling. I have however found a solution that works great for making simple models in rapid prototyping purposes.
The software is called Qubicle 2 and is a type of voxelbased 3D modelling software. It is easy to use and makes usable block models fast, perfect for someone like me. Down below is a render of a test model, which took 10 minutes to make, including some poking around and testing.
And here is said model loaded into Unity3D.
Qubicle will be used to create various miscellaneous models, such as tables, doorways, items, pickups and so on.
Hello, this will be my own development blog for my specialization project called “Yggdrasil World Generation”. More information about the project can be found under “About” in the menu to the left. On here, I will post anything from research topics to development updates under the duration of this 2 month project. I will try and post on here every Tuesday and Friday, and any other day that I feel I have something relevant to discuss on here. Comments are welcome!
This stating post will not contain much. Firstly, the choice of engine for the project has been made: Unity3D. Since I am new to this engine, I decided to learn some more about it and follow some tutorials. To the left is an image of a very basic “Collect the items” game, as seen in all MMORPGs. I choose Unity3D for its rapid prototyping capabilities and its ease-of-use. Others were considered, but eventually Unity3D came out on top.
Currently, I am reading up on various minimum spanning tree algorithms. They are used in weighed node graphs to find the lowest cost node tree. This will hopefully be useful when generating structural entities such as corridors and portals. At the time of writing, two variations of this algorithm look particularly inetersting: Prim’s algorithm and Kruskal’s algorithm. A post covering this subject will come along as the project progresses.