Your browser (Internet Explorer 6) is out of date. It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how to update your browser.

Archive for January, 2015


Physics Demo is about done now, will continue on monday

Sound library research and testing.

This week we have looked deeper into what external libraries to use for this project, this post will focus on the sound library we chose.

Since we did not want to program the sound functionality ourselves we decided to use an external library for this part of the engine and just write a wrapper class for the library into the engine.

After some looking around we decided to use the library irrKlang (link provided below). It’s a free-to-use sound library for non-commercial projects, which suits us perfectly. If we hypothetically want to take the engine further there is room for upgrade with the irrKlang Pro licence which is for commercial products.

The library itself has a simple API for 2D sound playback, which is the only type of playback we have decided to support in the engine currently. We felt the need for 3D sound would be too situational to outweigh the time that would be spent implementing it.

We wrote the actual wrapper class for the sound library and made a little test environment for it to test the various features. Everything went well, we have the sound prototype ready for milestone 2 and the SoundManager class ready to be implemented in the engine structure.

irrKlang webpage:


PhysicsManager up and working with Box2D, at least on a basic level;tomorrow more functionality will come.

Entities. Entities everywhere.

Today begun with setting up sprints and stories on Redmine and creating suitible tasks. We later finished up documentation for Milestone 1 which is tomorrow.

After lunch we wrote my first lines of code for this project. The fairly simple but important Entity class is soon done and will be implemented it into the engine structure tomorrow



Today we started setting up the structure, and have now a project to work with on svn.

Entity Manager somewhat done and will tomorrow test it with the Entity Class.

We are currently preparing to present Milestone one tomorrow.


Paper Work!

The project documentation was today main focus.

I created an UML diagram of the engine. The layout is still missing a lot of member variables to most of the classes; will fix this when the engine grows.




First Post!

Today we talked about the design of the project.

Tomorrow we will work with splitting the work into tasks, to be able to create the time spreadsheet, also creating a layout of the engine.