This week has been a little bit caotic with both broken camera discs and some minor accidents like slipping while carrying a bench to a car and back a car into a tree, but in the end I got the filmed material!
It all started this Monday when I finally got to speak with Mattias (the camera man) about my storyboard, when we would be able to film, how we where going to do this et cetera. I showed him two different storyboards. The first one with the bench and the book and the second storyboard without the bench and book. After some small talk and new ideas we decided to stick with the first storyboard, the one I uploaded here on my blog a while ago. We choose this because it would look better and more realistic, but also because we would be able experiment more with that storyboard while filming.
Afterwards I had to find an actor for my shot. I only asked one person and she said yes! a friend of mine called Kajsa Holmberg.
I also got a lot of help getting everything I needed. for example: trackingpoints, booking the “green screen room”, lamps for the shot, cameras, a crane for the camera et cetera. Both Arash Vahdat and Mattias helped me a lot with this. I couldn’t have done it without them!
So, on wednesday we started to prepare the room where we were gonna film. Kajsa and I ran around setting out tracking points on both the floor and the walls, placing the bench, cleaning up the room and putting filter on the lamps. We also took some measurements of the points (mostly the origo that we put out in the scene) and the bench. I must say that we used A LOT of trackingpoints. I will probably use half of it while tracking the filmed material, but I thought that it wouldn’t hurt to be extra sure. I got a lot of trackingpoints from Arash so why not use at least half of them?
While we were doing this Mattias started to work on the camera, setting up more lamps and the crane and rigg for the camera. And just when we where going to start filming, we realized that the disc for the camera was broken. Mattias took the car and went to his office, hoping that he had an extra disc, but he didn’t. So we decided to film on thursday instead. I can say that I didn’t add this one to my “risk analysis”.
On Thursday everything went well. Arash helped us to get a new disc for the camera and then we could, at last, start filming!
We filmed everything with a Black magic cinematic camera, in 2.5K. While testing the camera settings we decided to film with higher exposure, just to be able to reduce the noise that can occure. I will be able to change the exposure later on, I also tested this while we were filming. One thing I didn’t know about this camera is that the result came out in dng format. I thought Adobe premiere pro would be able to import the sequences, but instead it was Adobe After effects.
After this everything went smoothly. While filming we tested different angles, different hights and movements for the camera. While doing this we also imported it to my laptop just to check if the movements of the different shots could me matched with each other. I had two main shots in my storyboard. but as the filming was pretty straight forward we decided to take some extra shots of Kajsa that I might be able to experiment with later on.
The only problem we had that we couldn’t entirely fix while filming was the lighting of the greenscreen. We tried to put up more lamps and lowering the ones from the ceiling but we still got a little difference on the greenscreen. Especially the part that connects the floor and the wall. No matter what we did it got brighter than the rest of the greenscreen. I don’t think this will be a major problem while keying but we did our best to smooth it out just in case.
/ Michaela s