Since last update I’ve been working on menus. They are very simple and can only be interacted with by using the keyboard. They’re build by text and indicators showing what item/option currently is selected. Doing menus in code only, without the use of scripting is very time consuming and I don’t recommend it unless it’s really thought through. My menus aren’t so well made, not that fancy and they are sometimes not so easy to navigate but they will simply have to do. In the lobby I have implemented a simple chat as well. I added functionality that checked available screen resolutions for your monitor(s) and they are selectable in the options menu (of course I added the original 1024×760 Asteroids resolution as well). Settings such as player-name, game-name, last joined IP and port number are saved, because I find it tremendously disturbing if I have to type everything in at every play.
The perhaps bigger thing I’ve been working on is the server-list. When hosting a game, it is now registered on my server. So clients can now browse available hosts and join them, without any annoying IP-lookups and such. The information displayed about the servers are game-name, IP address of the host and the port number the application is running on. Of course direct connection is available as well.
I’ve fixed a lot of bugs that have occurred and improved various aspects of the application. I’m a little after schedule and will have to implement the saucers and extra-lives for the players.