The specialization project was finished Friday 21/03/2014. That week I spent the first two days implementing the highscore list function and finishing the sound effects. I ended up with two different highscore lists, one for the cooperative game-mode and one for the versus game-mode. The difference between them being that in the cooperative list the names are made up by the first seven characters of each players name, instead of just one name per line in the versus highscore list. When a game is finished the highscore is sent by the host to the server keeping them. After it have updated the list (if it was necessary) the updated version is sent back to the host, who will forward it to all the clients.
The problem that I had with the sound effects that wouldn’t play was that I didn’t handle other things that a WAVE file could include like ‘fact’ about the media. After fixing this and actually reading the ‘data’ into the sound effect they played nicely. So I ended up with three different sounds for explosions, one laser sound, a thrusting sound, two sounds for the saucers and two for the background heart beat that’s playing like an background music/effect.
I’ve done loads of small fixes trying to get the game to be more stable, and then I finally set the version to 0.1.0, the first official beta!
Over all the project has gone well. I’ve succeeded with creating my Asteroids game and integrated a network solution with functions that reduces the feel of latency and increases the playability of the game. The game supports up to four players, have sound effects, text and highscore.
The downsides under this project have been that I was behind my schedule the last weeks, even though I somehow managed to fix everything before deadline. I feel that I stated that I would have too much done at the end of the project in my report, and what I stated was pretty specific too. I had pretty hard last weeks when I had to fix the sound effects and highscore, and would gladly have skipped the audio if I could. but I’m glad I didn’t, because I managed to implement it and it really brought the game to life.