Is pretty much what I’ve been working on for a bit. I want to clean it up, add some more options and also focus on synchronization of all numbers. So, some things I intend to sync that aren’t working yet:
- Max players
- Player position in the race (e.g: 3/8)
- Player checkpoints passed
- Player velocity (rendered text, that is)
- Score-board throughout the race but also at the race’s end (was mismatched earlier and currently does not function at all)
Besides that I kind of want to go in and add more variables for tweaking like a proper adjuster for gravity, friction and restitution, physical damping of various sorts and maybe lighting. We’ll see how it goes. I still haven’t really thought of any good method to synchronize attributes automatically, but have also begun to wonder if you ever would want that. Usually you will always have to optimize in the end and make sure that you only send what you need to for your application’s needs.
Some other things I did earlier that I might have forgot to mention was adding/incorporating a PreferencesManager I developed in the previous lab, and enabled it to save and load some basic audio attributes like audio enabled/disabled and also volume. Network preferences could be stored in a similar fashion, but I don’t feel like adding them there just yet, what with all rapid iterations.
I redid the Ogg Vorbis streaming which I had disabled, which now supports pretty much perfect looping, and because of that also got inspired and threw together a simple music player with support for sleep fade-in/fade-out. I am considering trying to throw in support for network therein, either to be able to request playback of music or stream from/to it. If not soon I might look into that after this project has ended instead.
Now some screenshots from the latest in linux development, first one which I failed to upload to the last blogpost, second one from today’s reworkings (mostly code, but there is slight changes in the visuals too) and the third one is a screen from the music player I began to create this weekend (screenshot taken in windows).
On a side note I also took some time yesterday to work on the third (or rather, second) game project, RuneRPG. There I am also working on the UI system (since it’s still under development), but I can say that it’s starting to feel real good now that some things just work automagically (i.e, how I want them to, straight away).
Oh, and yeah. The CMakeLists file I had been using earlier actually got improved to support multiple project just a few days ago (I had been using bothersome #ifdef’s earlier in the code…), which kind of triggered or at least enabled me to start working on the other two projects. :)
Also not directly related to networking, but the audio (OpenAL) doesn’t seem to work in my usage of it on Linux (at least not on the computer I am currently testing). Not sure if I should put any effort in there, since I’ve got enough to do as it is.