This week we have been putting everything together. We have set up the rendering layers and passes, refining the facial capture to make it work with our film and finally rendered everything out. Since we are a bit behind schedule the alien needs more work. So this week we will push the last shots to the same level as the first. These shots below are the ones that are about ready for re-render in higher quality.
I have been continuing work on blendshapes. Currently most notable thing I have taken a look at is fleshy eye, as can be seen in the gif above. It will help me out when creating the blendshapes I want, but as it’s at the early stages some refining will occur.
Will have to look up sticky lips aswell and add it into the mesh aswell. Most of these functions will either be implemented into the blendshapes or be used in post when I have all the animations set.
This week, the sculpt of the head has begun and we have also taken texture references.
We got access to a room where we could take photos for textures for our model. Therese, a classmate of ours agreed to assist us as texture reference. The room was set up with 3 lights, one on each side and one in front of her so we could get a uniform lightning on the face.
The photos were taken with a polarizing filter on the camera which got rid of unwanted reflections and highlights. Unfortunately we couldn’t get the scene bright enough, which means the quality decreased a bit. We might end up reshooting if the quality isn’t good enough.
We have now updated the previz! Take a look!
Anton is currently trying out his pipeline where he creates blendshapes with a joint-based rig. Meanwhile, Linus will start working on the head of the astronaut!