Last post before gradshow, and with a fully rendered sequence which for me was very thrilling because it’s the first time I’ve seen him in his entirety with audio, beard and all.
But first lets see what’s been going on since last post. WELL, I finished the rig for all post-animations. And it looks like this.
Included in the rig is a very dynamic control of the tounge with blendshapes and joints, also a “drift”-jaw which is something that I invented to cope with lip drag (when you open your mouth your teeth moves before your lower lip starts moving), pupil-dilation-controls, sticky lips and some wobblecontrols for the hat and shoulders etc.
When recording with faceshift it has a tendency to never really close the characters mouth completely, also there is no tounge recording and in general I had to tweak a lot of stuff to make him pronounciate the words better. But that’s all and well because that’s what I set out to do in the first place!
Also I finished up on the last bit of shading-work. I will never ever look-dev my textures on a black background again. especially when the good folks at http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/archive.html supports you with some free HDR-textures for IBL-lighting. A good test to any texture is to see how it handles different lighting scenarios and it’s important not to develop for a specific scene. Imagine your director asking you for a daylight shot of your swampmonster that you’ve been texturing in almost pitch black.
Part from that I’ve just been touching up on lots of different small stuff. Setting up my different scenes for rendering on multiple computers, making sure that all comps render in the same way/quality (you’ld be amazed to know what maya can do when moving scenes to a new workstation)
Next up is increasing quality and FG-settings. Might also change the lighting slightly