Forgot to blog earlier about this weeks progress so in compensation I’m doing a much bigger post then usual with some nice findings!
This week I’ve devoted a lot of time to lookdev my textures to make sure they’re up to snuff and on even levels from clothes to face. You always remember the thing that pops most, so I have to make sure that my stuff is either equally good or equally bad rather then a good looking face and badly shaded clothing.
A wise man once said. “You better put more stuff in the scene before you decide that your other stuff is finished”.
What this means is that what I earlier thought was “finished” was not so finished. Adding more textures and more detailed surfaces in an image always either enhances or supresses the previously “detailed” stuff.
So I finished my shading and clothing detail. In the process I came accross a difficulty when it comes to doing embroidery and post-painting displaced geo, it’s damn near impossible to get a non smudgy result. You have to constantly render out your displaced geo with your diffuse to make sure every fiber aligns the way you want it. So I had to come up with a nice way to work from texture to geo instead of baking down sculpt detail and post-painting the diffuse. Luckily Zbrush is an amazing software with its plugin Noisemaker
Here’s what I had to do. Instead of sculpting my detail from scratch, I started out with the diffuse.
I made a tileable pattern, a tileable fabric alpha. Brought them into Noisemaker, set it to UV and adjusted my depth accordingly. Then I also baked it to layers and used the morph target in order to paint depth and lost detail, wearing etc. And voila!
Part from this and waiting a lot of time on lookdev-renders I also researched maya fur to give him some peachfuzz and a sleazy looking beard
To do this I’ve been using mayas fur and custom-making stuff like baldness maps, length maps etc. These are esentially just black and white maps that decide where he has less or more hair etc. (This is the baldness map. White is beard, black is no beard)
He’s starting to look reaaally sleazy and for some reason I’m starting to recognize myself in his looks. They say people always do self-portraits and I sure hope this is not mine.
Next up is his long flimsy hair that is also going to be dynamic.
(Other then that I’m looking into how many computers that I will be able to render on. I’ve kept a pretty hardcore filestructure which enables me to import the workspace onto other computers with confidence in everything rendering as it should.)
Sorry for the post-delay, this is what happens when you get really into your work!