Posting has been slow because I have been doing many minor things last week. Such as fixing new eyeballs due to “tri-nests” in the middle of the cornea, sorting out some edge-flow issues in the animation and stuff of that nature.
The last few days however I’ve been working on something interesting. Manipulating translucency in soft tissue. Gums. And refractions in crystal-like structures, teeth.
The solution for both of these was to bump the SSS-weight and severely decreasing the SSS-radius.
In the end I’m pretty happy with the result. They have a pearl like finish and crystal like refractions.
Also I finished the corrective rig with blendshapes for the neck and blendshapes/rig for the tounge.
With Faceshift I’ll have a really good foundation to work with. But it will only give me the “outer” shapes, meaning facial expressions and eye-direction. But the teeth and tounge will have to be animated manually. So I prepared some different blendshapes with a highly interactive rig that can really TWIST the tounge (excuse the pun)
Preparing a test-render sequence with teeth, eyes, tounge etc for the beginning of next week.
Tomorrow is prep-day for that test-render. I went from testing one frame at 5:30 min and after I changed basically nothing but a gloss value I got it down to 2:20min rendertime.
Something is weird about the scene and I shall sniff it out!
Next time you’ll probably see a very fleshy face with some slimy interiors put in!