Final

Well, maybe not final, but it’s the final delivery here on this blog. I still aim to improve certain parts, like the movement of the lantern in the third clip. There are parts that ended up better than expected and parts that ended up worse, but overall it has been a very fun and rewarding project!

Comp

 

light

firstshot

Proved a bit difficult balancing the warm light of the lantern with the cold blue from the environment. Looks a bit too saturated at the moment and I still feel I’ve gone a bit too dark in some areas and a bit too subdued with some of the highlights, so right now I’m making some final touches before the gradshow.

 

Matte painting / Camera projection

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWwBFd-8XMw

Getting the background to look good is essential to the whole feel of the clip. My first concept was way too flat and basically felt like a painting, so I took some time to redo the whole concept.

Old concept

Old concept

New thumbnail

New thumbnail

Final

Final

Lantern movement

The middle ring was made an active body and then connected to the passive rigid body lantern using string constraints to have it move in a more natural way. The actual strings are ncloth, I thought about using hair but I figured this would work just as well for this project as the strings aren’t very visible.

lantern

 

I am however struggling a bit with matching the actual basket to the hands movement. I hoped to be able to fix it all in comp but the rotation threw it off so I had to change and render it yet again.

Progress

Would love to render a progress-shot but the time is too valuble at the moment as I was ill for a couple of days and ended up a bit behind schedule (Hopefully I’ve caught up by monday.) You’ll have to make due with two stills containing the old BG.

firstshot1 secondshot2
The movement of the lantern is a bit jumpy and stiff at the moment, but as everything was rendered seperately this should be an easy fix with a transform node and the motion vector pass. I made some quick light changes but the main compositing-job is coming up next week. Now I’m finishing up the matte painting and the camera projection. More on that in an upcoming post.