We didn’t quite meet our schedule at the presentation, we didn’t have a playable demo containing all of the game logic; working doors, win/lose conditions etc. So after the presentation we got a lot of great feedback, especially on what to focus on.
We hadn’t really laid out the whole level on paper and looked into the game flow, nor had we concentrated on the props that had to be in game for it to work. Nor had we really given deep thought to how to make the game scary, at least not on paper. Our individual projects didn’t really mesh together at the presentation, it was more like 4 different projects.
Today we redid our planning for this and the coming week to totally focus on the game play and mechanics. First of we’re going to discern which props we really need right now to make the game playable (and enjoyable) in addition to creating the atmosphere we want through in game events, effects and sound.
Hopefully we will have more of a game to show soon!
Since we had two tile sets, one for the interior and one for the exterior facade of the building we had to match these perfectly.When we started building the level this wasn’t the case, we had tiles that were to big and an uneven amount of tiles in place.
The solution to this was very simple, both sets essentially have to have the same corresponding tiles and we have to be very precise when building the exterior and interior. However arriving at this solution took a while longer then we would have liked, almost half a day was spent on trying to match everything up.
The result however is that we can build the level easily now.
Multiple people working on the same level
We had a lot of problems earlier in the week when we were starting to place all of the props inside our unique levels inside UDK.
While the levels didn’t create any conflicts with SVN due to being separate files we hadn’t realized that having only one package (file that contains all the .fbx files) would create problems, we assumed that the packages could be merged if two people had worked at it at the same time, this didn’t work though.
In hindsight it was a rather simple solution to simply create a package for each of us, one for me and Joachim plus one for all of the logic items (doors, the creature etc.) so that there won’t be any problems.
Empty projcet VS Example project
The reason we threw the empty project away and started to work with the Example project is because most of the tutorials and help on forums were using the example project as a base on the scripting side. Only the programmer really felt this change as the only thing that was different for the artists was getting access to the example meshes, materials and textures which they could use as references for their own work.
The only person this change effected was the programmer, the artist also have access to the UDK examples material and meshes to study.
So, the high poly model of the character is basically done. I’ve been working in Sculptris for two weeks now, and yesterday I jumped to Mudbox to add the skin details. Sculptris became very instable as the polycount grew over 1.2 million triangles, so since Mudbox doesn’t add new geometry automatically when sculpting, it worked fine there. Now there might be some details left that I’d like to add, but that can be done in the normal map later.
Next week a new chapter begins: low poly modeling, UV-mapping and baking! Looking forward to it. So, here are some pictures of the high poly model:
Watch turn table
So, now the arms and hands are in place. Now I need to add more skin details like wrinkles and veins, and also more asymmetrical details. Also some simple pants. I’m following my schedule, and this is the last week of sculpting.
I’ll have to work on both Saturday and Sunday in order to add all the details I want.
Here’s what the character looks like after todays work. Sculpting is going well and it’s fun! Still trying to nail the larger symmetrical parts before moving on to the details and arms.
Here’s the exterior facade proxy model, I created it all in modular pieces. Here’s how it looks all assembled.
So here’s a small progress update for the interior.
Finished two highpoly chairs (first one took way to long, second didn’t) since yesterday. Also an overview of the grand entrance.
3 days of work have passed, and this is the character so far. I’m using Sculptris, it’s a very handy tool. Nothing strange about the work flow or settings, just sculpting!
Trying to get the large shapes right now. The arms will be added when I’ve broken the symmetry, since one is small and one is large. Until then I must sculpt the symmetrical parts.
Well… I will break much of the symmetry later when detail work begins.