About Erik J

Games forever!

Interior texturing and gameplay

So, a somewhat late post from me, managed to get sick for one week but got a lot of work done anyway, had all the models uvmapped and normals + ao baked for them.

In my original schedule i had the last 2-3 weeks to use on uvmapping, texturing and effects, but i have to spend the final week working with gameplay instead as Robin doesn’t quite have enough time to do everything.

Sadly this will leave my part a bit more lacking then i would have hoped, a lot of the models won’t be textured (at least by me) and some of the models that i wanted to include won’t make it in.

Instead i will be working with the Kismet scripting interface to create gameplay events, picking up items, unlocking doors, in-game story and more. Depending on how quick i can make things work i might be able to go back to texturing a few more objects, although i doubt it as i do want the gameplay to be on a good level before doing so.

Some screenshots are coming up tomorrow as well, need to bake the lights which takes about 3 hours at this point while using the highest default settings.

ss_3 ss_2 ss_1

Not the prettiest ever, nor using all of the post processing features. Flashlight is also casting some pretty strange shadows but it’s something that should be fixable.

Not super happy with the resulting textures really, but i did what i had time to do. For now it’s gameplay time instead.

Modular set pieces and Light maps

After we redid our planning i decided to finish off the most needed assets and move onto the level creation in addition to UV mapping / Baking / Texturing until i have finished it for all of the models that i have ready.

First thing i started of with was to create a proper lightmap for my modular corridor pieces, which turned out to be a much larger hassle then i had anticipated. After two and a half days of testing, tweaking and searching around on the internet i have a decent result, not as good as i would like it though.

Continue reading

Post milestone #2

We didn’t quite meet our schedule at the presentation, we didn’t have a playable demo containing all of the game logic; working doors, win/lose conditions etc. So after the presentation we got a lot of great feedback, especially on what to focus on.

We hadn’t really laid out the whole level on paper and looked into the game flow, nor had we concentrated on the props that had to be in game for it to work. Nor had we really given deep thought to how to make the game scary, at least not on paper. Our individual projects didn’t really mesh together at the presentation, it was more like 4 different projects.

Today we redid our planning for this and the coming week to totally focus on the game play and mechanics. First of we’re going to discern which props we really need right now to make the game playable (and enjoyable) in addition to creating the atmosphere we want through in game events, effects and sound.

Hopefully we will have more of a game to show soon!

Problems solved for this week

Multiple people working on the same level

We had a lot of problems earlier in the week when we were starting to place all of the props inside our unique levels inside UDK.

While the levels didn’t create any conflicts with SVN due to being separate files we hadn’t realized that having only one package (file that contains all the .fbx files) would create problems, we assumed that the packages could be merged if two people had worked at it at the same time, this didn’t work though.

In hindsight it was a rather simple solution to simply create a package for each of us, one for me and Joachim plus one for all of the logic items (doors, the creature etc.) so that there won’t be any problems.

 

Empty projcet VS Example project

The reason we threw the empty project away and started to work with the Example project is because most of the tutorials and help on forums were using the example project as a base on the scripting side. Only the programmer really felt this change as the only thing that was different for the artists was getting access to the example meshes, materials and textures which they could use as references for their own work.

The only person this change effected was the programmer, the artist also have access to the UDK examples material and meshes to study.

Level updates

Another week down and milestone #2 tomorrow, we’ve come a bit further with the project now.

Here’s some screenshots from the level inside of UDK, and remember; it’s all a WIP. Int_2 Ext_1 Ext_2 Int_1

Moodboard – Interior

Bit more lighting references for the interior environment.

Moodboard_InteriorLighting

 

The left side corresponds to the initial lighting that the player will experience, the right side is how it will look after the lights go out.

Rain effect

Seeing as we wanted rain i thought it would be good to check around for tutorials or the like, and voila there was plenty of information on how to create the effect. I chose to go with an alpha plane solution, mainly because it’s the easiest way to implement it in addition to being far less of a performance hog.

Continue reading