Milestone 3

 

Today was our third milestone, you can find my commissions here.

I have upgraded the environment a bit, added a spotlight and finally rendered out the entire clip for the first time in a higher resolution. But there was some errors in that clip that I couldn’t change. Have been having some trouble with Maya. I couldn’t open the scene and the character which I have referenced into the scene would not load. So here is a good ol’ playblast where I have changed some of the things.

Even though I did fix that by going back a revision on svn, (svn is a program that let’s us store our files on a server and it saves every version you save even if you save over a file. So you can then if an error occur go back several files and load that on your computer. It sure can be a life saver.) Then in the scene I did a File -> Optimize Scene Size. And that made the scene run much smoother, for a while at least. It starting to go slow again and it’s almost unbearable to animate at all. I tried exporting the things in the scene to a new one but that wouldn’t work either. I’m kinda running out of ideas and it would be nice to know what’s wrong. I think it’s most likely the character or the ghostman plug-in.

Well about the animation anyway. I got about two days now to fix and tweak the ever living out of this. I will probably not get entirely satisfied with the end result but I have done the best I could at the moment and I learned quite a lot.

Almost there now!

 

There, now I have basically made all the major inbetweens! What awaits is to tweak and time some movements better.

Added an anticipation before he starts to run in this here clip. Anticipations are good in animation to maker the viewer ready for a movement. Or give a character more force in a specific action such as swinging a golf club. In this case I was aiming for both.

I made him stop after he swinged over the gap as well. before it really felt too rushed, so now it feels better. I will shorten it down a bit and give him a moving hold. Which is basically to make the character move around just enough to not look like he’s freezed in a position.

Sneaking.

 

Since last I have been working on this here clip where he is sneaking past the dog house. Not completely done yet, need a few more key frames at some places and some general adjustments.

Otherwise I have been inbetweening, refining and changing most of the animations in the beginning. Sometimes when I change a movement it is necessary the change the movement before and after as well. That is a big problem when making changes mid on. It takes time, but hopefully it will be worth it later on.

Slowly but surely

 

This is the clip so far.

The sneak is a bit too fast, I’m thinking of maybe adding twice as many frames. All the animations I’ve been working on in the clip are on two’s right now. That means that every pose is showed in two frames. So for 24 frames then that’s 12 poses per second. Some of the faster movements are in one’s which is then 24 poses per sec. I read that when you have a moving camera in your scene which will move in one’s, then your animation needs to be in one’s as well. So I might need to look into that.

Added him putting is head into his hands at the beginning and slowly stroking his head. An attempt to show more of his tiredness. The timing is a bit off just as he puts his head into his hands, but I can’t seem to get it right at the moment.

Also straightened out the legs when he runs, and I think it looks better! Will need a bit more work maybe speed it up towards the end, right before the jump.

I did speed up some things, the jump and him crashing into the wall. Not sure if I should speed it up even more.

And I changed the way he comes up after climbing over the wall. The movement before was to extreme and this feels better.