I found a great reference point for my lowpoly model. Jonas Georgakakis game model “Strongman” at polycount forums. The model has nice edge flow and is very optimized. I studied how the model was made and created my low-poly model with similar edgeflow. Thank you Jonas for letting me study your model!
The modelling went fast when I had this great reference, and I created this Viking Lumberjack model with 2576 triangles with only one 512×512 diffuse map. I created UVs and started texturing with hand painted textures techniques from the polycount wiki. I have just started texturing, and I wait with the colors until I’m done with the values. It’s really hard but fun!