Final Delivery and Post Mortem

Hello Everyone!

The project has now ended and here is some images and videos from the final delivery and the Post Mortem document. Thanks for reading!

Post Mortem PDF version
2012ip07_propsForGames_postMortem.pdf

Post Mortem ODT version
2012ip07_propsForGames_postMortem.odt

Motorcycle images

Oak images

Viking Lumberjack images

Movie capture from the motorcycle UDK scene

 

Movie capture from the Viking Lumberjack scene

Posted in Other | Comments Off on Final Delivery and Post Mortem

Viking Lumberjack with Colors

Here’s an update. I added some colors and extra detail. The colors and the values don’t seem to mix well. I’m thinking of flattening the layers and work in the colors a bit into the values.

On other notes, I’m almost out of time. I have to create a scene in UDK and if I have the time, I really would like to rig and animate a simple idle animation for the motorcycle/audrey scene and the lowpoly model scene. Only one week left!

Posted in Prop #3: The Low-poly Model | Comments Off on Viking Lumberjack with Colors

Low-poly Model: Modelling and Texturing

I found a great reference point for my lowpoly model. Jonas Georgakakis game model “Strongman” at polycount forums. The model has nice edge flow and is very optimized. I studied how the model was made and created my low-poly model with similar edgeflow. Thank you Jonas for letting me study your model!

The modelling went fast when I had this great reference, and I created this Viking Lumberjack model with 2576 triangles with only one 512×512 diffuse map. I created UVs and started texturing with hand painted textures techniques from the polycount wiki. I have just started texturing, and I wait with the colors until I’m done with the values. It’s really hard but fun!

 

 

 

Posted in Prop #3: The Low-poly Model | 2 Comments

Importing the Motorcycle into UDK

I have a problem with a noticeable seam going through the mirrored areas of the UVs of the motorcycle when importing it into UDK. It’s not very pretty.

I imported the motorcycle as a static mesh, added a simple material, but seams where showing up. I can’t understand why, they doesn’t show up when I import the mesh into Marmoset Toolbag or Maya.

Posted in Prop #2: The Motorcycle | Comments Off on Importing the Motorcycle into UDK

Texturing the Motorcycle Part 5

After some talking with my brother and friends, I kept working on the normal and specular maps. They didn’t really show anything in the last post. I removed some cracks/scratches, added some nuts and screws. This is how it looks like now.

Only normal and specular/gloss maps:

All together with bloom:

Posted in Prop #2: The Motorcycle | Comments Off on Texturing the Motorcycle Part 5

Texturing the Motorcycle Part 4

I have created specular and glossiness maps for the motorcycle. I think I will let the texturing rest for a while, as I’m quite happy with how it looks now. Perhaps I will get back to it later for more finishing touches. Here’s a screenshot from Marmoset Toolbag.

Posted in Other | Comments Off on Texturing the Motorcycle Part 4

Texturing the Motorcycle Part 3

The diffuse is finished, and now I’m adding grime and dirt. Only the tires and tire screens yet though. Areas further from the ground will mostly have dust and grime. I can’t wait to make the specular and glossiness maps!

Posted in Prop #2: The Motorcycle | Comments Off on Texturing the Motorcycle Part 3

Texturing the Motorcycle Part 2

I think I’m done with the normal map and the ambient occlusion map. I added some alpha faces for the spokes, which was the simplest geometry I could create for them. I have started dividing the maps into different areas for different types of materials, like green metal and brushed steel. Next is some color and then I’ll start grunging it down with scratches and wear. Then I’ll start making the specular and gloss maps which will be crucial in the look of this model.

Posted in Prop #2: The Motorcycle | Comments Off on Texturing the Motorcycle Part 2

Texturing the Motorcycle Part 1

The lowpoly model is done, and I have completed the UVs. Here is¬† a screenshot of the motorcycle with a normal map and ambient occlusion diffuse map rendered in Marmoset Toolbag. I’m still stitching up the wheels. Soon I’ll start coloring it and give it different materials.

Posted in Prop #2: The Motorcycle | Comments Off on Texturing the Motorcycle Part 1

Playing around in UDK

Yesterday we had trouble with the maya license servers on Campus, so I took a break in my UV work on the motorcycle and started tinkering with UDK. I tried out the foliage mode tool, the terrain edit tool, and the in-game cinematic tool Unreal Matinee. It was fun and easier than I expected! I can now control cameras and simple mesh movement. Today I have to continue working on the motorcycle UVs, but the next thing in UDK I have to learn is how to import custom-made skeleton-driven meshes. Like my game character Audrey McCloud or the motorcycle, if I decide to rig it.

 

Posted in Other | Comments Off on Playing around in UDK