Home > Uncategorized > Big normalmap problem solved

Big normalmap problem solved

I’ve been having a problem with seams on the normalmap.

I tried flipping the green channel, the red channel, the red and the green channel.

I tried painting over the seams in zbrush.

I changed the reading to linier rgb.

Even if I use a plane normalmap with one color the problem is still there.

The normal are all smoothed and pointing the right way, there are no double faces.

If I disconnect the normalmap completely the seams disappear, so there’s no problem with the texturemaps.

In the viewport with the normalmap on I can’t see any seams.

I’ve tried deleting history.

I’ve made a new bumpnode.

I made new lights and changed the shadow settings.

I’ve tried new normalmaps from zbrush, xnormals, mudbox. But the problem is still there.

The uv shells have enough room between them.

After much debate I decided that I maybe could fix the problem in post. But after finding more strange seams in the normalmap, fixing it in post would not be an option.

Fourth day with same problem, I found the source of the problem. The vertices are not pointing in the right direction along the uv seams. This makes the computer think that the faces have another angle than they actually do. So I tried some different things with set vertex normal, set to face, average normal, unlock normal until I saw that the vertex normal had a better direction from the vertices. Then I exported the new obj into mudbox with the highpoly. Then when I baked the normalmap I unlabeled the smooth uv options. And voila! Working normalmap.

Be Sociable, Share!

Comments:6

1. Kit Reply
    September 12, 2012 at 21:00

Hello, Im getting this same problem. How do you suggest to fix it? I use 3D Max but you dont say where you fixed this problem.

2. Isildil Reply
    December 11, 2013 at 09:35

could you please make a tutorial about this? 😀 this problem has been giving me headaches for a long time…

3. tonyt Reply
    February 8, 2015 at 12:31

hi, i know this is an old post but i found a way to bake normal maps without visible seams. I used projection mapping in max, load your high and low poly mesh with good uv layout and line the objects up, then render to texture and create your normal map. use existing uv’s, i found i get great tangent space normal maps without problems over uv seams, im using max 2015, hope this is useful for someone 🙂

4. Lorenzo Somvang Reply
    August 14, 2016 at 21:40

of course like your web site however you have to test the spelling on several of your posts. A number of them are rife with spelling issues and I in finding it very bothersome to tell the reality then again I¡¦ll certainly come back again.

5. Illa Galeas Reply
    September 10, 2016 at 09:12

I really like your writing style, superb information, regards for putting up :D. “In every affair consider what precedes and what follows, and then undertake it.” by Epictetus.

6. NickySArtiga Reply
    November 19, 2016 at 17:51

Excellent blog post. I certainly love this web site. Thanks!