Lighting attempt

I watched a lot of lighting tutorials, but still I feel like I don’t know what I’m doing. I’m trying to think about what would look nice and dramatic and not be too concerned with what’s physically accurate. I have some fog in the scene, which I rendered with Maya software because it takes no time and Mental ray seems a bit cranky when it comes to shadows. I might change the angle of the fog, though to match the light better.There’s some sprite dust particles floating around up in there. Right now I’ve removed all the materials and applied a plain, grey mia_material so I can test render and not have to wait a month to see the result. The character is now in what I call “sausage legs mode” because Ludvig is doing some skirt simulations. The lantern is too bright so I’ma turn it down some. For this render I had preview quality but Final gather turned on. I’m hoping to do something more interesting with the colors. If anyone have some tips concerning lighting, please feel free to enlighten me.

Animation.

I have been animating for a while. The wings aren’t dynamic in this playblast, and I’m testing how different camera movements work together with the live action footage right now. The animation will need tweaking as the skinning and dynamics become more refined, and as soon as we have working blendshapes I can start taking it those final inches. I’m pretty satisfied with this. I could tweak it for weeks, obviously, but I think this is as far as I can go given the time I have.

A little of this, a little of that.

I’ve been doing some various things these last couple of days. Mostly it’s been all about putting everything together and making the scene work. I’ve made some simple particle dust, textured some objects.. retextured some objects. Mari really makes the whole texturing process quick and efficient so if I need to make any changes it takes almost no time at all.

I made some smaller rocks that can be placed wherever in the scene. I’ve also tried out paint effects for grass which I think could work out with some tweaking.

More rigging!

I am almost done with the rigging phase now, the only things I have left now are the blendshapes and the displacementmaps that are going to be driven by them. I’ll only be the few we need for this project,  about 5 to 6 blendshapes and probably a couple more displacementmaps. Hopefully by the end of the week I’ll be done with all rigging.

The first thing I started to rigg was the wings, wasn’t that much of a hassle as I first thought it would be, fortunately our animation didn’t call for any folding or excissive fanning. Right now all the the feathers are driven by curves and IK splines which in turn are driven by one hair system, this has the advantage that you only have to tweak one node and it will affect all the feathers. The wings themselves are simple IKs and then the feathers are parented to the closest bone. We will propably add some wind to feathers to make them abit more alive. Here is a little video of the dynamics in action and the controls:

The rest of the rigg is pretty straight forward, arms are ik, I added a extra joint in the forearm to simulate the radius bone. I made some driven keys for the fingers for faster animation, so if one finger curls it affects the others to some extent, I also added controls and finger curls for each individual finger for more control. I also started with the nCloth, right now I’m testing out different settings with a lowpoly mesh, when I’m done with that I’ll save it out as a preset, add it to a mesh with abit more resolution and then we will simulate with that. And lastly I’ll constrain a high poly mesh to the midpoly one, hopefully this will cut back on the time we need to simulate and produce some cool results. Here is a video of some of the controlls and the lowpoly nCloth in action: